Monday, June 28, 2010

9. Attend the Road Rocket Rumble

9: Road Rocket Rumble 2010: CHECK

I officially started checking things off my list this past weekend. Saturday, the day before my 26th birthday, I decided to head down to Indy to Check out the Road Rocket Rumble... The Road Rocket Rumble is a pre 1965 traditional hot rod and custom show hosted by the Road Rockets Car Club of Indianapolis, Indiana. I got to see hundreds of Cars and Trucks from Originals, to Hot Rods, to Customs, to Rat Rods. I'm a huge car nut so I can appreciate anything and everything Car related. The twist to this show is that it's supposed to be for Pre-64 cars and trucks... I did notice a few slightly newer vehicles made it in but there were no Honda's or Toyota's... For that matter there were no Camaro's or Mustangs either... which is refreshing for someone who frequents car shows. I really liked the show because it's the only one in the area where people show up and represent the Kustom Kulture. "Kustom Kulture is is an American neologism used to describe the artworks, vehicles, hairstyles, and fashions of those who drove and built custom cars and motorcycles in the United States of America from the 1950s through today." as described by Wikipedia... Is also "usually identified with the greasers of the 1950s, the drag racers of the 1960s, and the lowriders of the 1970s. Other subcultures that have had an influence on Kustom Kulture are the Skinheads, mods and rockers of the 1960s, the punk rockers of the 1970s, the metal and rockabilly music, along with the scooterboys of the 1980s, and psychobilly of the 1990s." I don't normally get into dressing up in costume but this seems different to me... More of a recreation of an era that I feel I should have been a part of. Either way it was pretty cool to see the retro fashions with guys sporting the slicked back pompadours, jeans, wallet chains and Pin Up Girls in Pencil Skirts... It's something you would see more out in California and not expect to see here in the heart of the Midwest. I had an awesome time at this show and plan on going every Summer if I get the Chance...

Here are some of the pictures of the show that I got with my Camera and iPhone: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100106864055508.2714426.13701831&l=53b0870cc3

And more pictures can be seen here: http://www.indyroadrockets.com/photo_album.html

1 comment:

  1. bunch of psychobilly guys.... aka 'skinhead retirement plan' hahaha.

    ReplyDelete