Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The List Begins: Subject to Change for Now...

Note: Not all the things on the list have to monumental experiences...
  1. Drive Route 66: Being the Classic Car guy and Car Motorabilia Nut I've always wanted to do this... For the longest time I've wanted to own a Custom Classic Car and just hit the road... however being the optimist I am I know that 40+ year old cars don't travel well... at least the ones I could afford now wouldn't... So renting a car or RV to make the trip sounds like a better idea... If I got an RV I wouldn't need to spend money on hotels... and I could cook my own meals and save money there too.

  2. Riding the Empire Builder: The Empire Builder is an Amtrak Train that goes from Chicago to Seattle/Portland. It's a 46 hour Train ride Across the US. The train has specially designed sight see cars and its is timed so that it crosses the Rocky Mountains in Daylight... I saw a show about this on the History Channel or the Discovery Channel and knew right then that I wanted to ride this train. Ive never been on an honest to goodness real train... Just a Coke Truck Pretending to be one... ;-)

  3. Take my Truck on the Hot Rod Power Tour: The HOT ROD Power Tour is considered one of the best automotive tours in the world. It's seven-day, seven-city tour it happens every summer. The vehicles that complete the all 7 days get a Long Hauler Award. This is something I've hear about for years and years while learning about classic cars and hot rods. I see cars at the car shows every year with the Power Tour badges and stickers. I think it's like a Badge of Honor for any Gear Head. Right now my truck runs and runs well but I think it would need a little work to pull off a 7 day drive across the US...

1 comment:

  1. Train sounds cool. I've done a number of little 1 hour to 3 hour trains in the midwest and germany. Hop on the amtrak to chicago from Lafayette one of these days. It isn't overly expensive and it will give you a feel for it, somewhat.

    Rv'ing sounds cool. I kind of want to do that someday too... but it can be expensive. I've looked in to it a bit over the last couple years. On top of the very low gas milage, even on the smallest RV, theres the daily rental, milage and parking/hookups:


    "How much will it cost?
    The daily rate can start as low as $45, but the bottom line-after you add in taxes, fees, and miles (not typically included up front)-is more like $80 to $300 a day. At El Monte RV you can prepay for 300- or 500-mile packages for about $90 and $150, respectively. They'll charge you 324 per extra mile and won't refund unused miles. Cruise America charges a flat rate of 29¢ per mile after you've returned. Expect to get 7 to 11 miles a gallon. The drop-off charge for one-way rentals is usually at least $200. Most agencies also charge for not refilling the propane tanks or pumping out the sewage. To relocate their inventory, Cruise America and El Monte RV offer a limited number of special one-way promotions. For rentals this spring, El Monte knocks off 50 percent, throws in 1,500 free miles, and drops the one-way fee on trips from Los Angeles, San Francisco, or Las Vegas that end in Dallas."

    Hot rod tour sounds fun too.

    Hey... get a truck bed camper! Then you can double your efforts!

    ReplyDelete