Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Preparing to Prepare...

I have to preface this blog by saying I'm not much of a writer. I do however want to have a way of keeping track of this endeavor so here goes nothing...

I was sitting at home watching TV with my dog and I realized that I'll be turning 26 in the next few months and I was thinking about what I have done with my life so far. When I sit and think about it I really have accomplished a lot. I've built and wrecked classic cars, graduated college, restored/rehabbed an entire house, made friends, lost friends... However, I still feel like there is so much that I've wanted to do but have never done. I know in my heart that if I don't do some of these things now while I'm young and fairly free to do whatever I want that I will never do them.

So the current plan is to formulate a list of 30 things that I've always wanted to do and try to do them all in the next 4 years before I turn 30. I'm in the process now of finding 30 things to do before I turn 30 that are actually attainable goals. I really do want to do things like Tour Europe or Sail to and through the Caribbean but those are things that aren't going to work in the 4 year time frame due to budget and time constraints... I believe this is enough for my first post. I'll be posting more of the plans and the research soon... Until then, Laterdays.

1 comment:

  1. I would advise that touring europe or sailing through caribbean are attainable- Don't let people tell you that the only way to visit europe is for weeks a time. Don't think of sailing the caribbean as only on a private sail boat. Do what you can do now. Open a second bank account and direct deposit as much as you can in a 30 things fund that is only touched for your 30 things.

    You can go on a 4 or 5 night caribbean or mexican cruise for $250 including your room and all the food you can eat. You just have to get to the port via truck or plane. Watch cruises.com for that stuff.

    I went to germany for 4 or 5 days for $350 for the flight roundtrip and stayed at a cheap hotel... carried only a backpack over.

    I guarantee you that you could visit europe or tour the caribbean in the next 12 months if you set your mind to it!

    Once you do it, it will be very easy for you to do more of these things. Do it while you are unencumbered! Now that I have done some of these things, I would be doing them again every six months if I didn't have kids!


    Watch places like travelzoo.com and you'll find things like $630 for 6 nights staying in 3 different castles in Ireland, round trip airfare from ohare and car rental included. This is a fall, winter, spring type deal, but hey, would you rather be in ireland in the off season or not go at all?

    Those are my words of prodding and encouragement.

    On a related note, Michelle found round trip tickets from fort wayne to Myrtle Beach, non stop flights, for $50 including all fees and taxes! Of course, you have to go in the next 2 weeks. Point is, there are deals all the time.

    ReplyDelete